Thursday 8 March 2012

Tasting Play-dough, by Kira


I thought tonight I would share my play-dough recipe with you, since Andrew posted about toys yesterday and play-dough is one of the kids' favourites. They can keep themselves busy for some time creating nests with eggs, pies, snails, driving toy trucks though it and burying little lego men. Fern likes to eat it too. She tells me she is only tasting it but I feel it's no longer tasting after the third little nibble. 


This is the only recipe I have tried. It smells great and works well. It is made with Kool-Aid though. A product I would rather not purchase but the kids love the smell and the colours are always bright. 

Kool-Aid Playdough


1/2 cup salt
1 1/2 cups water
Sauce pan
2 packs of Kool-Aid
5 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 cups of flour

Combine salt and water in sauce pan and boil until salt dissolves. Remove from heat and add the Kool-Aid, then the oil and flour. Knead into dough. Keep in an airtight container.  I'm not sure how long it actually lasts. Ours drys out before it actually goes bad.




If anyone has a favourite play-dough or any other kind of modeling clay recipe they would like to share I would love to hear them and try them out. I'm always looking for fun crafts and activities to do with the kids. 






1 comment:

  1. I grew up on home made 'cooked' play dough. then as an adult working at an Early Years Centre I made many, many batches of the kool aid play dough over the years and it's a great recipe. I've started using this one http://www.littleecofootprints.com/2011/07/playdough-recipe.html
    It's my new favorite, I think I'll make a fresh batch for today. My 3 year old daughter likes to 'taste' the play dough too. blech

    ReplyDelete