Thursday 11 October 2012

Peppermint and Honey Lip Balm, by Kira












I was able to get my hands on some raw local honey and wax last week. I have been searching for wax for months now as it is an ingredient in many of the homemade products I would like to make.
I had to purify the wax first.
To do this, heat the wax with a double boiler.
Leave it on low for a few hours or until most of the particles settle to the bottom.
You can either pour or scoop off the clean wax.
I plan on saving the 'gritty' wax for soap.

Ingredients for Peppermint and honey lip balm:

Beeswax 1/4 cup
Honey 3 heaping tablespoons
Olive oil 2 tablespoons
Coconut oil 2 tablespoons
Peppermint essential oil (food grade) about ten drops


Heat the beeswax in the double boiler and then add the oils, honey and peppermint. Once all of it is melted, remove it from the heat and let it cool a little.
When it starts to thicken, stir it with a spoon and then put the balm into containers.

This was my first go at making lip balm.
It turned out great!

A couple things to remember for next time though:

I would prefer to use a non scented coconut oil or some other oil in place of the coconut oil; if only to simplify the smell of the balm.
I also think that once the wax and oils start to harden it needs to be whipped.
I stirred it with a spoon and the mix would have come out a little smoother had I whipped it.
The texture did not affect the soothing properties.
It works great and is thick, creamy, sweet,
and homemade.






No comments:

Post a Comment